In the late 1940s, the design team at Fairbanks-Morse (FM) set out to develop an 8-cylinder 1,500-horsepower all-purpose road switcher using
their opposed-piston diesel engine design. By September 1947 FM had produced the first H15-44 locomotive in the form of Demonstrator “FM
1500”. The hood-unit style body included distinctive features such as slightly sloped ends, rounded corners, oval cab-side windows and a raised,
rounded headlight base on each end.
The first purchaser of the H15-44 was Monon, who quickly bought both the demonstrator and the second unit built in December 1947.
Three units were then built for Rio Grande before additional demonstrators wereproduced laterin 1948. Before production ended in mid-1949, a total of 35
units had been built, with Jersey Central owning the most units (14 total).
By 1950 other builders had increased the horsepower of their competing road switchers, and FM responded with the 8-cylinder 1,600-horsepower
H16-44 model. The earliest units were externally very similar to the previous H15-44. MKT 1591 was initially ordered as an H15-44, but was
upgraded to 1,600hp during production.
The first true production H16-44s were ordered by Jersey Central. Several large railroads purchased this model, including Santa Fe, New York
Central, Southern and Pennsylvania. A total of 99 units would be produced before production of the “phase I” version ended in December 1952.
FM continued to produce H16-44s with phase II and III body styles through 1963. Our model represents the “phase I” body style of both the H15-
44 and H16-44 that was produced between 1947 and 1952. Options include FM or AAR truck side frames, high or low-mounted headlights,
early or late-production phase 1 hoods and a removable fuel tank skirt.
Silver Sound Ready™
Atlas Silver Sound Ready models are equipped with a speaker for easy conversion to sound with the addition of a decoder. If you need
assistance with the upgrade of a Sound Ready model, please contact Atlas Customer Service at 908-687-0880 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Master Model Features:
• Bi-directional red and green LED marker lamps that work in DCC and analog mode
• Realistic die-cast underframe
• Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels for optimum performance at all speeds
• Directional lighting
• Factory-equipped with AccuMate® knuckle couplers
• Painted crew figures
• Separately-installed scale windshield wipers and fine scale handrails
• Separately-applied coupler cut levers and trainline hoses
• Separately-applied fuel tank skirt as appropriate by railroad
• Etched metal radiator grilles
• AAR-B or FM-style truck sideframes as appropriate by railroad
• Gold version will be sound equipped with ESU Loksound
Central of New Jersey (CNJ)
w/ DCC & Sound