Note: Image matches the paint scheme, see listing for actual road number.
With over 220 units produced by EMD between July 1958 and March 1963, the SD-24 locomotive generated a total of 2,400 hp with its turbocharged 567D-3 prime mover and C-C wheel arrangement.
The majority of SD-24s produced were purchased by four roads: Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Santa Fe, Southern, and Union Pacific. Atlas’ HO scale model features details unique to each road name:
Burlington (CB&Q): High nose, single-chime air horn on short hood, Gyra-light on short hood (non-operating), winterization hatch
Santa Fe: Low nose, 3-chime horn mounted on left side of hood behind cab
Southern: High nose, 5-chime horn mounted on cab, bell detail on short hood
Union Pacific: Low nose, 3-chime horn mounted between 2nd and 3rd radiator fans, winterization hatch
- Separately-applied roof piping detail
- Golden-white LEDs
- Realistic die-cast underframe
- Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels for optimum performance at all speeds
- Directional lighting
- Factory-equipped with AccuMate® knuckle couplers
- Painted crew figures
- Separately-installed scale windshield wipers, metal grab irons and fine scale handrails
- Highly detailed coupler cut bars
- Multiple unit hoses and trainline hoses
- Piping on trucks
Atlas Master® Gold Series Additional Features:
- Electronic Dual-Mode® Decoder (e-DMD) that allows your locomotive to run in DCC or traditional DC
- Dual speaker system
- Authentic diesel engine sounds
- Squealing brakes
- Doppler effect
- Air let-off in neutral
- Coupler impact sounds when operated with DCC
- Helper mode that mutes the whistle and bell for double heading
- And more!
Note: Due to the higher starting voltage required to operate the sound system, it is not possible to MU a non-sound-equipped loco in DC (analog) mode.
Union Pacific (UP)
w/ DCC & Sound