We maintain strong emphasis on accurate reproduction of the prototype, as well as disciplined execution of each model. Finally, we design our products to be utilized in operating environments. Notable callouts for our new UP Bethlehem Steel 3600 Cubic Foot Quad Hopper include:
- Highly accurate “true to life” colors
- Exact fonts and lettering placement. Read the accurate 1” COTS boxes!
- Painted wire coupler lift bars for strength and durability
- Real rubber flexible air hoses
- Thin-profile brake piping
- See-through etched metal brake platform
- L-shaped end-sheet supports
- Interior bracing detail
- Body-mounted Draft Gear with MT-compatible couplers
- Ready-to-operate model with hidden weights
- 100-ton trucks and 36” CNC free-rolling precision metal wheels with front and back profile
- Our N Scale Bethlehem Steel Quad Hopper does not compromise to operate on toy train curves – we suggest a minimum radius of 18.75” or greater (see comments below about modifications you can make to the models to get them down to 11″ radius curves)
- A “Tangent-accurate” non-symmetrical, properly-sloped coal load
- Dimensional accuracy – scaled from prototype plans
- Car number selection process – we select car numbers from our personal photo collection, online and published sources, focusing on late era numbers to represent more than 40 years in continuous operation
- Recommended age 14 years and older
- Our models come in plastic jewel boxes!
Our minimum radius is not a typo. We calculated the 18.75″ by running the car on curves until we did not “feel” any rubbing of the wheels against the air hose and draft gear key details — some of the same details that make the car a Tangent quality product that sits at the right height (yet work with the larger than scale coupler box required for MT-compatible couplers). Can you run the car on smaller radius curves? Yes, with adjustment of the model. Here is how:
- 1. If you remove the 2 rubber air hoses from the model (Needle nose pliers pull them right off from their 2-pin mounts), then the car will FREELY roll on a 15″ radius curve.2. If you further “modify” the car by taking a #11 X-acto blade and slicing off the “nub” face of the draft key detail molded onto the side of the draft gear box (about 20 seconds of work), then the car will FREELY roll on a 12.5″ radius curve.
Further reduction in minimum radius is possible, but results in increasing degrees of “rubbing” and that is up to the pain threshold of the modeler.
We want our official documentation to reflect the out-of-the-box radius, hence the 18.75″ stated here.
Tangent Scale Models N Scale
Bethlehem 3600 Quad Hoppers
Road Name: Union Pacific (UP)
Road Number: 39940
Photo may not show actual road number . Please see description for actual road number